PROPOSAL FOR COMPANIONSHIP, EXERCISE, LOVE AND GROUP ACTIVITY FOR THE ELDERLY
The interested Elderly could foster motherless stray puppies and kittens or abandoned pets who would in turn give them the much needed companionship, love and exercise. These animals could be picked up from the nearest animal shelters, with whom I or anybody can very easily coordinate beforehand or from the streets or from other people involved with this cause. In the meanwhile, word would be spread around for their adoptions through networks and websites. In case they do not get adopted for a few weeks, they would be sent to any animal NGO with whom we can pre-determine this. This would also act as a means of group bonding and activity as those involved can share their experiences collectively. Innumerable health benefits of the companionship of animals are proven by research, which include psychological and physical health benefits.
WHAT IS FOSTERING AND ADOPTION-
• FOSTERING means taking care of motherless stray puppies and kittens and abandoned pets in your homes for a short period, from the time they are rescued from the roads till the time they get adopted by their new family. ADOPTION means getting a pet, i.e. those animals who are homeless are adopted.
• During the fostering period, they just need to be fed and provided with a decent environment to stay in. Fostering is required because motherless babies inevitably die on the streets and our animal shelters have very high infection rates so these fragile little creatures die there also, very soon and inevitably. These animals if given an opportunity to stay alive are a source of immense joy to the people whom they spend their lives with as pets. So animal lovers keep trying to foster and adopt stray animals.
HOW DO WE FOSTER-
• We need to feed the puppies or kittens with whatever we cook at home (chappati, rice, vegetables, dal and not necessarily non-vegetarian food) and quarter-half cup (small) diluted milk (water:milk 50:50), thrice or four times a day.
• Water and resting place (any corner of the room with a cloth or cushion for comfort), needs to be provided for them.
• It is also advisable to take them to the Vet once, for any veterinary suggestions, which would always be provided free of charge by the animal NGOs from where they are brought in and we can rope in private vets too, many of whom are happy to render their services for this cause.
• Since the animals do not require much, therefore the costs involved are very minimal and veterinary assistance is free of charge.
• Many websites are available to understand how to foster animals and about the benefits that they may bring to us too.
• Websites for fostering can be the websites of the animals shelters themselves, for adoptions are www.dogadoption.in, and many online communities and blogs of animal lovers.
• Websites for list of animal shelters in each city www.weforanimals.com and particularly for Mumbai www.mumbaionline.in (http://www.mumbaionline.in/EmergencyServices/AnimalCare/).