Programme to Mark WORLD ELDER ABUSE AWARENESS WEEK
13th June to 19th June 2009
13th June to 19th June 2009
On the occasion of 4th Global World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 15th June, Silver Inning Foundation, A Dedicated organization for senior citizens and their family members will be commemorating World Elder Abuse Awareness Week from 13th June to 19th June 2009 .It has taken the initiative to host various events to create awareness and sensitize the Government and the Civil Society to eliminate elder abuse at both micro and macro level. We are also trying to network with organizations working with elderly in Mumbai and all over India.
World over 15th June is marked as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day by INPEA.INPEA is an organization, founded in 1997, which is dedicated to the global dissemination of information as part of its commitment to the world-wide prevention of the abuse of older people. The United Nations International Plan of Action adopted by all countries in Madrid, April 2002, clearly recognizes the importance of addressing and preventing abuse and neglect of older adults and puts it in the framework of the Universal Human Rights. INPEA is dedicated to supporting the plan of action.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Week programme aims to increase society's ability, through various programmes, to recognise and respond to the mistreatment of older people in whatever setting it occurs, so that the latter years of life will be free from abuse, neglect and exploitation.
· To create awareness in elderly people themselves regarding what comes under elder abuse.
· To sensitize young people regarding elder abuse and to bridge the intergenerational gap between elderly and young people.
· To create awareness in media and society at large regarding elder abuse.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Week 2009 Tentative Programme:
1. Elder Abuse Awareness Week from 13th June to 19th June 2009
2. Host Essay Competition - "Elder Abuse: Role of Civil Society and Government " from 15th May 2009 to 31st May. To Publish Three Best Essay on Elder Abuse on Website and Blogs.To announce winner by 15th June 2009
3. 13th June 2009 Intergeneration Programme of Poster Making ,Slogan Writing and Presentation at Apne Aap ,Khetwadi, Mumbai (NGO working for Children’s of marginalized mothers)
4. 14th June 2009 Interactive Talk by Amruta Lovekar and Sailesh Mishra on Elder Abuse at Mahakali Senior Citizens Association, Andheri East, Mumbai (This Sr.Ctz Association is part of FESOM)
5. 15th June 2009 Talk by Sailesh Mishra on ‘Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007 and Elder Laws’ and Tying of ‘Purple Security Band’ to Elders at AISCON, Nerul ,Navi Mumbai (This is All India Senior Citizens' Confederation)
6. 18th June 2009 Talk by Sailesh Mishra on "Elder Abuse: The Hidden Health Aspect" at HELP Library –Nalanda ,Fort,Mumbai
7. 19th June 2009 Launch of Legal Advice cell for Elderly Women with regard to Matrimonial Issues in association with Majlis (NGO that provides litigation support and legal counseling to women)
This Programme is organized by Silver Inning Foundation and promoted by INPEA (International Network for Prevention of Elder Abuse) Indian Chapter through Development, Welfare and Research Foundation (DWARF) and 'Little Things Matter Initiatives' (LTMI), Mahakali Senior Citizens Association, Apne Aap, ARDSI Greater Mumbai and AISCON (All India Senior Citizens' Confederation).
For more info contact:
Sailesh Mishra, Founder President at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or call on Helpdesk 09987104233 – Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm.