Welcome to Silver Innings Blog, Good Day

Powered by IP2Location.com

Thursday, July 4, 2024

A world I want to see as an older person

I have seen older persons being made to take early retirement, either because they are unable to step up to the changing workplace or there are young and qualified young individuals, who the workplaces feel will add fresh perspectives. As also, there is stereotyping older persons as not suitable on account of perceived notions of age-related physical changes, challenges in keeping pace with rapidly evolving technologies, slower processing speed often misconstrued as signs of diminished capability. When I retired at the age of 58 (yes, 58 was the age in my bank) I felt I had a lot more left in me to contribute and learn, but I didn't get much of a choice, after retirement. So, I chose to do the next best thing and that is writing books, podcasting and content writing. Even so, if suitable opportunities had been available for me, I am sure I would have been able to address any limitations and contribute much more to the workplace and the society. 

A world I want to see as an older person - Hira Mehta 

According to me, older persons like me, have the best experience of working with diverse people and in changing work environments. Given a chance older persons can continue to contribute to society and add value. The society can also benefit from utilizing our skills and experience, if not in the corporate world, that suffers from the "age" syndrome, then maybe in other fields, such as education and training. While it is said age is never an issue, I still see it is a stumbling block in most professions and a barrier. The truth is that most older persons, like me, are still mentally and physically fit and prepared to work, but opportunities are few and sometimes difficult to find. There are many like me, who are continuing to seek gainful opportunities and then there are a number of older people who are happily retired and are enjoying their silver years. Then there is also that expectation from the children, emotionally drains older persons, especially when they are expected to look after grandkids after retirement, which can’t be overlooked. There still exists lack adequate job opportunities for those who want to continue to work, not to mention financial support, retirement benefits, inadequate social security and pensions for older persons. Unfortunately, our society is yet to recognize this as a social problem enough to promote age-friendly opportunities, environments and support.  

In every aspect of life there are pros and cons. I have realised that with the advent of social media, there has been a great deal of connectivity, but there is also lack of face-to-face communication, leading to social isolation and disconnection from society for some of my peers. Children are moving away from the homes to make their own nests, so the lack of social security or retirement benefits, the dependency on others for their care and daily needs or their own physical and mental health issues is becoming an issue for older persons. This is resulting in older persons being vulnerable to scams, abuse and with no one to care for their health and daily needs and it has been seen to lead on to issues like depression and loneliness. The family is still one of the biggest support systems for older people in India with around 82% of older people living with their families and yet prevalence of elder abuse in India ranges between 9.6% to 61.7% over different states. Financial inadequacy and issues such as inheritance or property disputes result in elder abuse cases. Most older people do not have access to legal assistance to safeguard their property rights, or protection for abuse related issues. Emotional support and guidance for such cases is also not easily available, either. Authorities, companies, societies still need to recognize and address health needs and safety needs of older persons to ensure that they can age with respect, inclusion, support and without any fear. Governments need to strengthen social welfare programs such as adequate pensions, legal support, health and financial schemes to ensure economic stability and reduced dependency on children. Studies have shown that regular physical and mental activity such as yoga, art of living, meditation is helping older persons. However, in urban India, there is a lack of open spaces, infrastructure, safe spaces, transport inaccessibility and access to such places. Rural India does have open spaces, but here there are other issues more important such as nutrition, awareness and education to manage first. 

As an older person, I want to see a world where workplaces and society offer good health services, social inclusion with opportunities for older persons to allow them to continue contributing their expertise, without being judged by their age. A world that allows me and all older persons, the independence to live on my own terms and with dignity at home and in society.  I see a range of tailor-made social activities and learning opportunities suited to my interests and abilities and being allowed to engage in enriching the lives of the next-gen with my years of experience and expertise. Retirement savings and pension plans, that adequately support the financial needs that ensure that older persons can afford a comfortable lifestyle without worry or stress is so necessary.  As we grow older, in making a good life for our families, we seem to forgot about living life and planning for old age and keep pushing it for later. I see older persons no longer burdened by responsibilities and demanding careers, with that dread of "what do I do now?". I remember, that I did not get the work I wanted after retirement and feeling lost for long. I see myself owning my lifestyle my way. I see some of my peers, perhaps starting businesses from home, enjoying their silver years volunteering or even running marathons. Let me share that I participated in marathons for many years, but today I can't even walk half a kilometre, let alone run, without looking for a place to sit down a while and I am sure if a dog were to run after me, I would get bitten for sure. I have 60+ girl friends who are enjoying 35 kms runs every morning and rightfully boasting about it on their social media pages and all I do is hit that 'like' button and move on. Even so, I see a world, where I have the right to choose what is best for me, without the comparisons and the comfort of getting to do it and looking forward to more without older persons like me, being stereotyped as not capable or suitable on account of age-related perceived notions. Older persons, like me, should feel safe and secure in their homes and neighbourhoods, with good support systems in place to address any concerns or emergencies promptly and with technologies seamlessly integrated empowering them to stay connected to society, family and friends. 

Let me end with this sharing. My father-in-law, a heart patient with loss of sight in one eye and half vision in the other for over ten years of his 99-year-old life, never stopped him from living life on his terms and following his heart. Despite uneven roads, traffic woes, he would walk to the temple ground close to home, meet his friends and return home with goodies for us. His memory never failed him and the stories he told, the songs he sang, the memories he shared embodied his entire being. Neither did it stop him from cooking meals for the family before I reached home, tired from work. I want to see myself living an independent life, just like he did, on my terms with good health, age-friendly environments, infrastructure, transportation, social inclusion and overall well-being support making it easy for me to live well.



By Hira Mehta | Author | Podcaster | Motivational Speaker | Soft Skills Trainer 
"A world I want to see as an older person with rights in my country and community. My thoughts at the Open-ended Working Group OEWG14, UN headquarters, New York, May'24" 

No comments:

Blogsite Disclaimer

The content of this Blog, including text, graphics, images, information are intended for General Informational purposes only. Silver Innings Blog is not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site. While the information contained within the site is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this Web site is correct, complete, and up-to-date.The links provided on this Blog do not imply any official endorsement of, or responsibility for, the opinions, data, or products available at these locations. It is also the user’s responsibility to take precautionary steps to ensure that information accessed at or downloaded from this or linked sites is free of viruses, worms, or other potentially destructive software programs.All links from this Blog are provided for information and convenience only. We cannot accept responsibility for sites linked to, or the information found there. A link does not imply an endorsement of a site; likewise, not linking to a particular site does not imply lack of endorsement.We do not accept responsibility for any loss, damage or expense resulting from the use of this information.Opinions expressed by contributors through discussion on the various issues are not necessarily those of Silver Innings Blog.