Centre for Lifelong Learning - Tata Institute of Social Sciences
DIPLOMA IN GERONTOLOGY
The Centre for Lifelong Learning at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai announces a one-year part-time DIPLOMA IN GERONTOLOGY (A Course to Work with Older Adults) that will be conducted from Monday to Friday from 5.30 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. at TISS. The Course Duration is from June 2008 to April, 2009.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
a) Goals of the Diploma Programme in Gerontology
- To prepare learners for interdisciplinary practice with older adults and their families while providing professional leadership in the field of Gerontology.
- To generate a trained cadre of functionaries for effective intervention based on a Human Rights perspective for enhancing the 'Quality of Life' of Older Adults
b) Objectives of the Diploma Programme in Gerontology
The Educational Objectives are as follows:
· To offer a comprehensive interdisciplinary 'rights-based' perspective in the field of gerontology
· To inculcate a holistic understanding of the biological, social, political and economic issues involved in working with Older Adults
· To impart the necessary attitudes and skills for making effective interventions in the field of Gerontology
- Graduate in any discipline. Preference to be given to those with work experience in clinical, social and developmental settings.
- All NGO personnel involved with geriatric services in fields such as health, mental health and education; administrators of human service organizations and corporate sector personnel.
- The Course will cater to all who intend to branch out or initiate services for the elderly.
- The Diploma Programme has an interdisciplinary focus and so it will invite those from medical, legal and financial backgrounds who wish to address issues of elderly and to audit specific subjects in particular.
b) Work and Employment:
Gerontology is a growing and upcoming field thus after graduating the Course participants will be able to:
- Engage in direct services
- Initiate and sustain programmes and services for Older Adults
- Be active members of inter-disciplinary teams working with Older Adults
- Supervise and train field functionaries especially paraprofessionals and volunteers
Application of the Course inputs will be possible in all human service organizations: social agencies, medical and educational institutions as well as the whole gamut of initiatives for Older adults ranging from Institutional Care to Day Care Centres, Community-based interventions and Senior Citizens' Associations.
· Gerontology: A Multidisciplinary Perspective
· Health and Wellbeing I
· Health and Wellbeing II
· Policies, Programmes and Management of Services for Older Adults
· Family Dynamics, Skills and Interventions
· Collective Action, Advocacy and Networking
· Developmental Interventions with Older Adults
· Older Adults with Special Needs
· Ageing and Media
· Training for Human Resource Development
· Creative Arts and Work with Older Adults
· The Professional Self (Non-Credit Compulsory Course: 15 hours)
· Term Paper: Case Study of an Organisation
· Field Practicum (Exposure Visits and Direct Field Work)
FOR FURTHER DETAILS AND APPLICATION:
Call:022- 25525682 / 25525681
Centre for Lifelong Learning
(Ms. Sabiha Vasi/ Prof. Nasreen Rustomfram/ Ms. Bhargavi)
Short Term Programmes Section (Section Officer)
Tata Institute of Social Sciences
Deonar, Mumbai 400 088
The total Course fee is Rs. 19,365/-
The last date for receiving application forms for 2009-2010 is yet to be announced