- To create awareness in elderly people themselves regarding what comes under elder abuse.
- To sensitize young people regarding elder abuse and to bridge the intergenerational gap between elderly and young people.
- To create awareness in media and civil society at large regarding elder abuse.
Welcome to Silver Innings Blog , God Bless You
Thursday 31 May 2012
WORLD ELDER ABUSE AWARENESS DAY 2012: India & Transnational Programme
On the occasion of 7th Annual World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) 15th June 2012 , Silver Inning Foundation (SIF) a NGO ( Not for Profit) working with senior citizens and their family members will be commemorating Elder Abuse Awareness Day from on May 21st to June 30th 2012 . SIF through its networking partners and social media has taken the initiative to host various events pan India & Beyond Boundaries to create awareness and sensitize the Government and the Civil Society to eliminate/prevent elder abuse at both micro and macro level. This is first time we have partners from USA ‘The Forgotten Ones: Compassion for the Elderly ; The Forgotten Ones: International Card Exchange for the Elderly’ and from Kenya ‘La Vie Foundation’.
World over 15th June is marked as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day by INPEA since 2006 .INPEA is an organization, founded in 1997, which is dedicated to the global dissemination of information as part of its commitment to the world-wide prevention of the abuse of older people. The United Nations International Plan of Action adopted by all countries in Madrid, April 2002, clearly recognizes the importance of addressing and preventing abuse and neglect of older adults and puts it in the framework of the Universal Human Rights. INPEA is dedicated to supporting the plan of action.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day month long programme aims to increase society's ability, through various programmes, to recognize and respond to the mistreatment of older people in whatever setting it occurs, so that the latter years of life will be free from abuse, neglect and exploitation.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day ( WEAAD) , Month long Tentative Programme. from May 21st to June 30th 2012 . This event can be organized and participated by anyone and anywhere in world:
1. Essay Competition – Essay of maximum 2000 words on the following topics are invited from May 21st to June 30th 2012 , Certificates will be given to best 3 : http://silverinnings.blogspot.in/2012/05/5th-annual-national-essay-competition.html
For all age groups: Importance of Family for Care of Elders
For School Students - Class 5th to class 10th: Inspiring Stories of My Grandparents
For Students - 1st year College to Post Graduation: Youth & Elders are made for Each Other
3. “Shop for Cause” Shop & Support an NGO ( Not for Profit) . The profit earned from this sale will be Donated to Silver Inning Foundation, an NGO that works with Senior Citizens : 1st June to 3rd June 2012 , Daily 11am to 5pm , Mumbai
4. “Foot D Ball to Stop Elder Abuse” friendly football match , Mumbai , 2nd year : Silver Inning Foundation (SIF) in association with Alfresco FC Mumbai are promoting the cause of Elderly through unique and well tried ‘Sport for Development’ (S4D) concept through our Pilot project “Foot D Ball to Stop Elder Abuse “. They will play matches at MDFA , Senior Citizens Associations , Old Age Homes , Schools / Colleges till Oct 2012. This intergeneration activity with S4D concept through Football is tried for first ever time in this part of the world (might be first time in world) for promoting Elder Cause and to create awareness about Elder Abuse in civil society. Youth will Tie ‘Purple Security Band’ to Elders
5. Walk the Talk : Awareness Walk & Talk with Senior Citizens : Various events will be hosted with local Senior Citizens associations / centers . May 21st to June 30th 2012
6. ‘Intergenerational Programme’ in Schools: Events will be hosted in nearby schools / colleges, like Essay Competition , Painting etc . May 21st to June 30th 2012
7. Share & Care: Upload latest pictures of your Grandparents and Elderly around you at Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/WorldElderAbuseAwarenessday . Best 3 photograph will be given Digital Certificate. May 21st to June 30th 2012
8. Send Post Cards, Greeting Cards, Letters to Lonely and Forgotten Elders staying in Old Age Homes / Nursing Homes / Alzheimer’s Home in India, Kenya and USA. Send them inspiring quotes, poem & picture Cards to show them that they are not alone and we care for them. This event is in association with ‘The Forgotten Ones: Compassion for the Elderly’ https://www.facebook.com/compassionfortheelderly and ‘The Forgotten Ones: International Card Exchange for the Elderly’ https://www.facebook.com/thelonelyelderly .
Old Age Homes / Dementia Homes can also contact us if they want their residents to be given the Post/Greetings Cards. May 21st to June 30th 2012.
For sending Cards & Participation Contact: India : Silver Inning Foundation : email@example.com Kenya : La Vie Foundation : firstname.lastname@example.org USA : The Forgotten Ones: International Card Exchange for the Elderly: email@example.com .
9. Bulk SMS to be send to people on 15th June for awareness
10. Bulk Email to be send on 15th June for awareness
11. Various other programnme: Street Play , Debate , Article in Newspaper , Letters to Editors , Talk Show on TV / Radio , Painting Competitions , Workshop , Conference , Submitting Memorandum to Government or Police Authority , Advertisement in Local Newspaper / Newsletter with WEAAD message , Rally etc can also be organized from May 21st to June 30th 2012 in various places by anyone who care for Elders.
If you want or if you are participating in any of above events or if you organize any event for WEAAD , please send us detail report with one or two photograph at firstname.lastname@example.org , we will compile the information/report and post it on : http://www.inpea.net & https://www.facebook.com/inpea
Together, we have the power to prevent elder abuse
My World, Your World, Our World, Free of Elder Abuse
This World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) 2012 program is organized by Silver Inning Foundation and supported by INPEA (International Network for Prevention of Elder Abuse) Indian Chapter through Development, Welfare and Research Foundation (DWARF) ; 'Little Things Matter Initiatives' (LTMI) ; SSS Global; FESCOM (Mumbai) ; 1298 Senior Citizens Helpline, Mumbai; AISCCON ; Harmony for Silvers Foundation ; Pushpa MA Foundation ; Anugraha India ; HelpAge India - Mumbai ; ARDSI Greater Mumbai ; iCONGO ; iVolunteer , Alfresco FC Mumbai ; The Forgotten Ones: Compassion for the Elderly , USA ; The Forgotten Ones: International Card Exchange for the Elderly , USA & La Vie Foundation , Kenya
The content of this Blog, including text, graphics, images, information are intended for General Informational purposes only. Silver Innings Blog is not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site. While the information contained within the site is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this Web site is correct, complete, and up-to-date.The links provided on this Blog do not imply any official endorsement of, or responsibility for, the opinions, data, or products available at these locations. It is also the user’s responsibility to take precautionary steps to ensure that information accessed at or downloaded from this or linked sites is free of viruses, worms, or other potentially destructive software programs.All links from this Blog are provided for information and convenience only. We cannot accept responsibility for sites linked to, or the information found there. A link does not imply an endorsement of a site; likewise, not linking to a particular site does not imply lack of endorsement.We do not accept responsibility for any loss, damage or expense resulting from the use of this information.Opinions expressed by contributors through discussion on the various issues are not necessarily those of Silver Innings Blog.