Welcome to Silver Innings Blog, Good Day
Powered by IP2Location.com
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Brain Health Lifestyle
The single greatest system ever designed in the history of the universe is your brain. Your brain is responsible for your every thought, emotion and behavior. Unfortunately we humans do not know much about our brains, and it is time to change that.
Five Domains of the ‘Brain Health Lifestyle’
* Do not isolate or segregate as you get older.
* Join groups and social organizations in your community.
* Maintain and build your friendship and family network.
* Be forgiving.
* Develop hobbies.
* Do not retire.
* Walk between 7,000 and 12,000 steps daily. Walk several times a week. Buy yourself a pedometer to remind yourself to walk and to keep track of your daily steps.
* Do gardening.
* Do aerobic exercise.
* Use both sides of your body more often: become ambidextrous.
* Learn a second language.
* Read and write (use your nondominant hand) on a daily basis; the more complex, the better.
* Learn sign language.
* Play board games.
* Play a musical instrument.
* Listen to classical music.
* Problem solve.
* Pray on a daily basis.
* Regularly attend a formal place of worship.
* Learn to meditate.
* Learn relaxation procedures with deep breathing and muscle relaxation.
* Slow down.
* Do not be afraid to say no.
* Eat 80 percent of what you intend to eat at each meal.
* Eat with utensils so you eat less.
* Eat healthier foods.
* Increase your intake of Omega 3 fatty acids, walnuts and unsalted nuts.
* Increase your intake of antioxidants.
* Eat colored fruits (grapes, apples, cantaloupe and berries) and vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends five servings of fruit and vegetables a day.
* Decrease your intake of processed foods and red meats.
* Eat one sit down meal a day with others.
The content of this Blog, including text, graphics, images, information are intended for General Informational purposes only. Silver Innings Blog is not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site. While the information contained within the site is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this Web site is correct, complete, and up-to-date.The links provided on this Blog do not imply any official endorsement of, or responsibility for, the opinions, data, or products available at these locations. It is also the user’s responsibility to take precautionary steps to ensure that information accessed at or downloaded from this or linked sites is free of viruses, worms, or other potentially destructive software programs.All links from this Blog are provided for information and convenience only. We cannot accept responsibility for sites linked to, or the information found there. A link does not imply an endorsement of a site; likewise, not linking to a particular site does not imply lack of endorsement.We do not accept responsibility for any loss, damage or expense resulting from the use of this information.Opinions expressed by contributors through discussion on the various issues are not necessarily those of Silver Innings Blog.