These awards have been instituted to honour the contribution of Shri B. G. Deshmukh,former Cabinet Secretary, GoI & Vice President, ILC-I, for social causes especially in the field of ageing.
The Selection Committee for the awards was chaired by Dr. K. H. Sancheti, the renowned orthopaedic surgeon. Many eminent personalities from Pune were the other members of the Committee.
The awards were distributed on the 3rd of July 10 at the hands of Hon’ble Justice Chandrashekhar Dharmadhikari in Pune. Dr. R. A. Mashelkar, President, ILC-I presided over the function. Shri B. G. Deshmukh was the Guest of Honour on the occasion. The other dignitaries who were on the dais were Dr. Arun Nigavekar, Vice President, ILC-I, Mr. Jayant Umranikar, Chairman, ILC-I, Dr. Vinod Shah, President, Janaseva Foundation and Dr. K. H. Sancheti.
The three senior citizens organizations which were given the BG Deshmukh award for “Excellence in Promoting Qualitative Ageing” were-
1. The Jyeshtha Nagrik Sangha, Sangvi.
2. The Sanmitra Jyeshtha Nagrik Sangha, Naupada, Thane.
3. The Jyeshtha Nagrik Sangha, Yavatmal.
The three senior citizens above the age of 70 who were felicitated with the “Jeevan Gaurav Puraskars” for their unique achievements were-
1. Prof. Prabhakar Shankar Joshi(85 years). He became blind after the age of 60. It was then that he wrote a book in Sanskrit on Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar- “Bhimayanan”.
2. Shri Ramakant Kulkarni (78 years). Since 1988 he ran a centre in his house for aiding senior citizens who were patients with assistive devices, at a very nominal rate. He also helped many of these patients’ surgeries to be sponsored by well-wishers. He later sold off his house and lives in a room given to him by his friend. The amount of Rs. 18 lakhs was donated by him to the Dnyanprabhodhini Medical Trust.
3. Shri Narayan Krishna Mahajan( 92 years). A true Scout Master of the Bharat Scout Guides Association, he has been an ardent mountaineer and adventurer. He has been para-gliding and climbing the Himalayas, the Sahayadris and is still doing so even at this age. He also has a record in the Limca Book of Records for having been the oldest para-glider at the age of 88 years.
The huge crowds at this function were fully appreciative of the work done by all these seniors and it was a grand success.
The awards were supported by Siporex Ltd., Bank of Maharashtra, Union Bank and the Janaseva Foundation.
About ILC - I:
The Longevity Centre (TLC) which was founded by Dr. S. D. Gokhale, eminent social scientist of international repute on May 4th, 2003 became the International Longevity Centre in April 2004 when it was admitted as the member of the Global Alliance of the International Longevity Centres.
ILC-I is registered as a not-for-profit company under Section 25 of the Indian Companies Act, 1956.
Today, Dr. Gokhale is the Hon. President of ILC-I. Dr. R. A. Mashelkar, renowned scientist of international fame, is the President of ILC-I.
ILC-I is also fortunate to have Mr. B. G. Deshmukh, former Cabinet Secretary to the Govt. of India, is the Vice President of ILC-I along with Dr. Arun Nigavekar, former Chairman, University Grants Commission.
Dr. Jayant Umranikar, former Director-General of Police, Maharashtra, is the Chairman of ILC-I.
Welcome to Silver Innings Blog, Good Day
Powered by IP2Location.com
Sunday, August 8, 2010
The content of this Blog, including text, graphics, images, information are intended for General Informational purposes only. Silver Innings Blog is not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site. While the information contained within the site is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this Web site is correct, complete, and up-to-date.The links provided on this Blog do not imply any official endorsement of, or responsibility for, the opinions, data, or products available at these locations. It is also the user’s responsibility to take precautionary steps to ensure that information accessed at or downloaded from this or linked sites is free of viruses, worms, or other potentially destructive software programs.All links from this Blog are provided for information and convenience only. We cannot accept responsibility for sites linked to, or the information found there. A link does not imply an endorsement of a site; likewise, not linking to a particular site does not imply lack of endorsement.We do not accept responsibility for any loss, damage or expense resulting from the use of this information.Opinions expressed by contributors through discussion on the various issues are not necessarily those of Silver Innings Blog.